Sunday, January 16, 2011

Corbin update 1.16.11

Day 5 of my little mans life. Well I guess it might technically be day 4 but I am going to count his birthday in this math, so day five it is. When the doctor said the situation was going to turn around and turn fast I never thought it would be so dramatic. He is doing so much better right now. He is acting like a baby instead of a preemie. Well, he still might have some "preemie" tendencies like being very, very, sleepy but I am willing to over look that. His IV was taken out earlier today. So, that means both of his hands are free. Free to attempt to rip the other cords off his chest, who cares! It is so great to see all of the hospital bling being removed and my little baby emerging. So that IV hurdle is now in our dust.

His feeding has improved a ton as well. Last night he latched on and had one good feed after another. Actually I can't recall a bad feed today at all. Yet another great and positive step. I think it might help that my milk has arrived and he is actually getting something when he nurses. But, this could not have come at a more perfect time. He was not ready 24 hours ago. So I guess we might just be on the same time clock here.

So another normal hurdle was passed as well today...he passed his newborn hearing test! Yay! He can hear all of my sweet words of encouragement and Scott's cute nicknames for him. I of course was one proud momma when the hearing tech said he was the fastest she had ever seen a child pass! Booyah!

The hurdles we have yet to pass (or even attempt) are small ones, I hope. Since Corbin was on oxygen, our hospital requires him to take a car seat test to verify he can make the trip home ok. All this entails is putting him in the car seat and having some sensors on him to make sure his O2 levels are fine. I expect no issues with that. But, I guess we shall see here tonight.

Keeping his core temp is also something we need to overcome before we go home. This is probably the most challenging hurdle we have yet to face. He was doing well, but has back slid a bit. As of tonight he was back under the heat lamp and it had to be increase to 20%. Urgh! But, the nurse said things could change overnight. So hopefully tonight is that night. She also said that this is a really common problem preemie babies have. So, time will tell.

I think the last hurdle is a blood test in the morning to determine his bilirubin levels. (ie jaundice). He was a bit borderline today but I don't think that would keep us from leaving. Maybe just sitting under some special lights? I think that he is eating so well today should help those numbers.

For me personally, today has been a pretty good day. I have not broken down sobbing at all. Not even a tear splashed out of my eyes. I never once thought things were not going to be 100% ok with the little man. I just really hate being in this situation. I hate that on day five my baby is still not with me in my room as I type this. It feels like someone pressed this big mommy pause button this time and I am just waiting and waiting for my turn. I dislike having to go to a nursery just for a cuddle. Don't get me wrong, I know he needed to be there and these wonderful women have really made a huge difference in our lives. But, I just want it to be normal. So, since I have to face this reality I am choosing to see the good things that have come of this.

My milk was not until four day. Corbin would have been miserable if he was not on the IV waiting for us to both be ready. That made the translation so much easier.
While I miss the two knuckleheads with every bone in my body right now and I can't wait to get home and read them an awesome story about Thomas the Train or A Very Hungry Caterpillar, I have gotten to heal with out any extra distractions. No temptations of lifting or over doing anything. I am not on any narcotics right now and only am taking ibuprofen for the pain. I can walk almost pain free at this point. That is really awesome!
My baby pass the hearing test with flying colors!
Scott and I have gotten to spend a lot of time together this past week. Surely under these circumstances are not ideal, but it was nice to have him here through so much of this yuckiness.

So, that is the update for today. I am off for another feeding in about 10 minutes. Thanks again for all of your support. I will update photos on Facebook tonight as well.

1 comment:

Dayna said...

Glad to hear things are going well and that you are recovering and handling things so good. Hang in there! He'll be home soon!